Admissions Checklist for Applicants Requesting a Student Visa
Due to the amount of time required for gathering, preparing, and processing the immigration paperwork, SGTC encourages all international applicants to apply at least 3 months prior to their desired start date. For example, if a student wants to attend classes for the fall semester, he/she should submit all required documents in May.
- Submit a complete application for admission (and choose only one program of study).
- Prospective students who have applied previously but did not get accepted or register for classes must reapply for admission every term they wish to attend SGTC until they get accepted AND register for classes.
- Pay a $25 non-refundable application fee in U.S. currency by money order or check drawn from a U.S. bank payable to South Georgia Technical College.
- Credit card payments in U.S. currency are also accepted by phone with the Business Office at 229-931-2381. You will need to notify the Admissions Office if you have made a payment via phone.
- Submit official transcripts from your high school (or GED) and all colleges attended by the application deadline. All transcripts must be received in envelopes sealed by the sending institution. Applicants with at least 30 semester credit hours or 45 quarter credit hours of study at one or more colleges do not need to submit a high school or GED transcript.
- All international transcripts must be evaluated by an approved evaluation service and sent directly to SGTC. The contact information for the accepted evaluation agencies is listed on the next page.
- Order a document-by-document evaluation for high school evaluations and order a course-by-course evaluation for college evaluations.
- For any U.S. schools attended, an evaluation is not needed, but official transcripts must be submitted.
- Submit official entrance exam scores from either ACT, SAT, Accuplacer or COMPASS
- Test scores must meet the minimum score requirement and have been taken within the past 5 years in order to attend SGTC.
- Minimum scores: SAT- 450 Verbal/Critical Reasoning and 440 Math/ ACT- 17 Reading, 16 English and 19 Math/ Accuplacer- Science Skills 70, Reading Comprehension 64, Elementary Algebra 57/ Compass – Writing 62, Reading 79, Algebra 37
- Submit financial statements.
- The student or sponsor must provide documentation verifying a minimum of $15,200.00 USD is available to finance the first year of education and cost-of-living expenses. Please follow the instructions for submitting financial documentation that is listed in this packet.
- Submit a photocopy of the page in your passport that shows your full name. (List your name on the application as it is written in your passport.)
- If you are transferring to SGTC from another school in the U.S., notify the DSO from the transfer-out school that you want to transfer your SEVIS record and submit a completed SGTC Transfer Clearance Form. You must also provide a copy of your current I-20 form, I-94 form, and current visa.
- Please see the International Student Admission Guide for additional information.