Learning to drive is a major milestone in a teenager’s life. It’s important for young or inexperienced drivers to learn safe driving techniques. There are four different ways Joshua’s Law can be satisfied for teenagers to meet the requirements for a Class D license. The program offered by South Georgia Technical College (SGTC) meets the option that includes 30 hours of classroom instruction and 6 additional hours of drive time with an instructor. Most insurance companies also give a reduction (approx. 10%) on insurance premiums upon successful completion. SGTC provides a (DDS approved) Driver’s Education program in cooperation with the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission (GDEC).
Participants must be between 15 and 17 years of age and possess a Learner’s Permit. Participants must attend all class dates for the full class periods. They must also complete all six (6) hours of behind-the-wheel driving.
Cost for the course is $350.
Georgia Driver’s Education Commission Grant Scholarship Program – Information for Students/Parents:
Beginning in January of 2017, the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission will begin a new scholarship program in which students may apply online for a driver’s education grant scholarship. The student will need to go to www.gahighwaysafety.org/gdec/ to apply for the scholarship directly from the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission through an online application system. The Georgia Driver’s Education Grant Scholarship Program Eligibility Criteria can also be found on this website. Upon award of the scholarship, students will be provided with a redemption code and may choose a course provider from a list of authorized driver training schools to redeem the grant scholarship. SGTC is an authorized training provider under the scholarship program. The driver training school will redeem their grant scholarship through an online portal. Once the student has completed the driver’s education course, the course provider will upload a copy of the student’s certificate of completion through an online portal and request reimbursement for the student’s driver’s education course fee. Please note: Georgia Driver’s Education Scholarships are NOT awarded by SGTC. Therefore, we will not be able to check application status nor answer questions about the process nor status of scholarships. Any scholarship inquiries will need to be directed to the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission. The link for the online scholarship application is scheduled to be released by the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission on March 1, 2017. Please continue to check www.gahighwaysafety.org/gdec/ for updates, as information will posted as soon as it becomes available, including a link to the online scholarship application.
To Register for a Driver’s Education Course, follow the steps below:
1) Click on the link below for the campus in your area. Select the campus and date you prefer and complete all other registration fields.
2) If you are NOT applying for a scholarship through the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission and SGTC is your selected course provider, please mail the $350 course fee to: SGTC Driver’s Education, 402 North Midway Road, Cordele, GA 31015. Payments must be made at least one week prior to the first day of class.
3) If you would like to apply for a scholarship through the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission, go to www.gahighwaysafety.org/gdec/ to complete an online application. *NOTE: According to the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission, applications will be due by the 5th of each month and will be awarded by the 20th of each month.
4) If you are awarded a scholarship voucher by the 20th of the month, take the voucher to your choice of course provider AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. At the time a student is awarded a voucher, they should receive a list of authorized training providers. SGTC IS an authorized training provider under the scholarship program.
5) If you are not awarded a scholarship voucher by the 20th of the month, go to your choice of course provider to pay the $350 course fee. Payments must be made one week prior to the first day of class.
For more information, please contact:
Americus Campus & Crisp County Center:
402 North Midway Road
Cordele, GA 31015