Learning to drive is a major milestone in a teenager’s life. It’s important for young or inexperienced drivers to learn safe driving techniques. There are four different ways Joshua’s Law can be satisfied for teenagers to meet the requirements for a Class D license. The program offered by South Georgia Technical College (SGTC) meets the option that includes 30 hours of classroom instruction and 6 additional hours of drive time with an instructor. Most insurance companies also give a reduction (approx. 10%) on insurance premiums upon successful completion. SGTC provides a (DDS approved) Driver’s Education program in cooperation with the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission (GDEC).
Participants must be between 15 and 17 years of age and possess a Learner’s Permit. Participants must attend all class dates for the full class periods. They must also complete all six (6) hours of behind-the-wheel driving.
Cost for the course is $350.
Georgia Driver’s Education Commission Grant Scholarship Program – Information for Students/Parents:
The Georgia Driver’s Education Commission has begun a scholarship program in which students may apply online for a driver’s education grant scholarship. To apply for the scholarship directly from the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission, go to georgiadrivers.ga.gov. The Georgia Driver’s Education Grant Scholarship Program Eligibility Criteria can also be found on this website. Upon award of the scholarship, students will be provided with a redemption code and may choose a course provider from a list of authorized driver training schools to redeem the grant scholarship. SGTC is an authorized training provider under the scholarship program. Please note: Georgia Driver’s Education Scholarships are NOT awarded by SGTC. Therefore, we will not be able to check application status nor answer questions about the process nor status of scholarships. Any scholarship inquiries will need to be directed to the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission.
To Register for a Driver’s Education Course, follow the steps below:
1) Click on the link below and fill out the registration form.
2) Submit a copy of your learner’s permit to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax a copy of the permit to 229.271.4050.
3) Apply for a scholarship through the Georgia Driver’s Education Commission at georgiadrivers.ga.gov.
4) If you are awarded a scholarship voucher and you wish for SGTC to be your authorized course provider, please email your redemption code to email@example.com as soon as possible.
5) If you are not awarded a scholarship voucher, a payment of $350 will be due the first day of class.